Tuesday, February 15, 2011

All in the genetic family

Stan Musial has won the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
That guy on the left.
From http://www.stan-the-man.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=222
We don't know him, but he's a maternal relative [insert historical-family-feud-and-failed-reconciliation story here]. 

The first time I saw a photograph of Stan Musial, it was many years ago in the St. Louis Post Dispatch.  My first reaction was, "Oh my God, what did [my grandfather] do this time to get his picture all the way into an AMERICAN newspaper?!?"

My grandfather was a well-known environmentalist in our little part of Canada, so his picture was in the newspaper on a regular basis.  But that was mostly constrained to the local region, hence my confusion.  I had to sit down and read the Post-Dispatch article twice before it clicked for me that the man pictured was NOT Charlie Musial - it was just a guy who looked startingly like him, by obvious virtue of genetics. 

Finding that newspaper article was an odd experience I remember vividly to this day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment