Thursday, March 3, 2011

Slow boat from China?

Not to be confused with Slow Boat TO China

Last weekend, I ordered a dash cam from an ordinary looking (nothing ouvert to indicate foreign operation) high-Google-ranked website.  This type of shopping makes some folks nervous, but I've been doing it for years and never have had a single problem or credit card abuse (in contrast to numerous traditional brick-and-mortar stores such as Sears, with which I've had long, drawn-out disputes).

Today, I clicked on the dash cam's tracking information, expecting the usual FEDEX, USPS, or UPS screen to pop up.  Instead, I got a return with a banner that looked like this:
Okee dokee!!!!!!  I have a feeling I might be waiting a while for this puppy to arrive!!   

And can these guys really ship this stuff individually, overseas, for such a small amount of money? 

The usual business model is to ship intermodal containers of junk to U.S. distribution points, and mail individually from there.  That way there's no need to pay for air mail.  But times are tough all over, and maybe China is willing to do what it takes to acquire an even larger slice of the American consumer pie, as if they didn't have a big enough piece already (she says, guilty of contributing to the size of it). 

No comments:

Post a Comment